So today I dropped my Brian Eno special on Vintage Cuts - hope some of you out there heard and enjoyed. IT's pretty humbling stuff really - the man is often called a genius and when you look not only at his own discography but also the calibre of artists and recordings he has appeared on a produced, what can you say? the show went down like this...
1. David Bowie, Heroes. (Heroes)
2. Roxy Music, Virginia Plain. (Roxy Music)
3. Brian Eno, Needle in the Camel's Eye. (Here Come The Warm Jets)
4. Roxy Music, In Every Dream Home A Heartache. (For Your Pleasure)
5. Brian Eno, Here Come The Warm Jets. (Here Come The Warm Jets)
6. Brian Eno, Sparrowfall 1,2,3. (Music For Films)
7. Brian Eno, Burning AIrlines GIve You So Much More. (Taking Tiger Mountain (By
8. Brian Eno, St. Elmo's Fire. (Another Green World)
9. Brian Eno, 1/1 (Ambient 1: Music For Airports)
10. David Bowie, Warszawa. (Low)
11. Brian Eno, Another Green World. (Another Green World)
12. Iggy & The Stooges, Search and Destroy. (Raw Power - Bowie Production, tenuous
link perhaps but I love this album)
13. Lou Reed, Satellite of Love. (Transformer - Bowie Production, and sings on the
14. Brian Eno, The Dance 3. (Ambient 3:Day Of Radience)
15. David Bowie, Secret Lif Of Arabia. (Heroes)
16. David Bowie, DJ. (Lodger)
17. Talking Heads, Take Me To The River. (More Songs About Buildings And Food)
18. Brian Eno and David Byrne, America is Waiting. (My Life In The Bush of Ghosts)
19. Talking Heads, Once In A LIfetime. (Remain In Light)
20. Devo, (I Can't Get No)Satisfaction. (Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo)
21. Brian Eno w/ Daniel Lanois and Roger Eno, Silver Morning. (Apollo: Atmospheres
22. U2, Acrobat. (Achtung Baby)
"Few bands as far into their career as U2 have recorded an album as adventurous
or fulfilled their ambitions quite as successfully as they do on Achtung Baby,
and the result is arguably their best album" - Allmusic.com
23. Passengers (U2/ Eno), Your Blue Room. (Passengers, Volume 1)
24. Brian Eno, Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy. (Taking Tiger Mountain (By
So lots of ambient drones and depths to lose yourself in for that one transcendent moment, and then flung back into the physical by tense rhythms and searing guitars.
Eno is truly one of the more interesting and challenging figures in modern music, and has done to "pop" music what Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Coltrane, and Charlie Parker did for jazz. You really should check him out....
and as an aside, are Talkign Heads one of the most underrated bands around? They simply are sensational and if you haven't already I recommend you see Stop Making Sense, which is one of the greatest live musical documents of our time, filmed by Jonathon Demme (Silence of the Lambs). Check it out at www.aliceinvideoland.co.nz.
Check in on Tuesday for the latest and greatest plus all the albums I'm digging at the moment, especially
The new Devendra Bandhart, Cripple Crow.
The Wilderness, S/T
Oneida, The Wedding
The Skygreen Leopards latest
Sigur Ros new one Takk
Old Afghan Whigs - Conregation
and more more more!
1 month ago